1 – Drawing Attention to a Building
- Use of light texture.
- Billboard with red striking sign.
- Blue awning.
- Depth of side of building.
2 – Affordances
- We encounter a door that can be opened with a shiv. This in my mind established an accordance that doors that looked like this could be opened.
- Later on we may encounter another door that looks like that same shiv door from before, but this one doesn’t open (affordance confusion)!
3 – Drawing Attention to Areas of Interest
- Like the contrast on the left side, draws my eye to the area where the safe is located.
- Sign as well as red car.
- Like the depth on the right side, draws my eye.
- Depth and blue police car.
4 – Lock Before The Key
In this section the player finds a safer that requires a numerical combination to be opened.
Further down the street the player sees the glint of a note against a dark junk wall, and finds the combination to the safe written on the note. I have an issue with this!
The player does need to do backtracking which isn’t ideal, but it isn’t much, my issue relates to getting the combination. When the player gets the combination it would be an additional plus to underscore receiving this important information with a touch of VO that hinted the relationship between the safe and note e.g “hmm wasn’t there a safe back there?”.Continue reading Last of Us – Bill’s Town Notes