For my last game Multi I implemented a system which allowed for my game character to walk on and jump from walls based on collision handling from an article in the SoulHow Assistance Guides. I thought I’d share that Wall Walking System with you.
- You have familiarity with writing code in Game Maker.
- You have a basic understanding of writing simple physics code in Game Maker.
- Your environments gravity pull objects downwards.
- That you have handled cases where your character can move on horizontal surfaces
The following Wall Walking System allows a character to walk in a variety of different situations that I’ll illustrate and refer to using the following diagram.
On completing this short guide your should have a better idea on how to have your character walk in the following cases:
- Green Case – Left, Right on Horizontal Surfaces
- Blue Case – Up and Down Completely Vertical Left Walls
- Red Case – Up and Down Completely Vertical Right Walls
- Purple Case – Left and Right on Vertical Ceiling Walls
In addition your character will also be able to jump up, down, right and left in the Green, Purple, Blue, and Red Cases respectively.
A caveat of this Wall Walking System is that it will not work in the corner cases highlighted by the orange lines due to not specifically handling the effect of the assumed environments gravity. Now on to the system!