Here’s an painting project I did several years back when I was playing Games Workshop Lord of the Rings table top board game. The models are the Spider Queen (without her swarms) and four Giant Spiders.
To paint these models I followed the Fall of The Necromancer Sourcebook painting guide on page 25, so a big thanks to Games Workshop for such a great book. Unfortunately it’s no longer available, but there are of course still ways to get a copy…
Here’s the basics of what I did.
I started these models with a base coat of Chaos Black, leaving it in the recesses of the model when painting.
- The black giant spider was done with dry brushing then highlights with Skull White.
- The red giant spider was done by first painting a coat of Scab Red, then highlights with Blood Red followed by a Red Ink wash.
- Both brown giant spiders were done first with a coat of Scorched Brown, the other had additional highlights with Snakebite Leather.
The queen was tougher to do.
- Her skin is painted in mostly Chaos Black with a little Rotting Flesh. Then more Rotting Flesh is added to the mix and used for highlights till I was happy with the look.
- The fangs were first coated with Graveyard Earth, then highlighted with Bleached Bone and then fine highlights were done with Skull White.
- The broodlings were first coated with Graveyard Earth, then Desert Yellow leaving the previous coat in the recesses. Lastly highlights were done with Bleached Bone.
- The boils were done with watered down Scab Red, then a wash with Red and Brown Ink.
- Christopher Berger (a friend of mine) did the base for me; he really did a good job.
I think it turned out well.