Steams recent winter sale had Final Fantasy 9 on discount. Since I’ve been meaning to play FF9 for awhile now, that and a good price made for a match made in heaven!
Whilst playing these are ‘designery’ thoughts I had during the first several hours of it:
- F99 starts you off in a dark room where it easy to focus on your player and understand movement. It then lights up the wider environment.
- Narrative reinforcement – One moment where you have to remember and mention the princess name when they are going over kidnapping plan.
- Level Exploration – In the scene below your character enters the scene from the bottom of the screen. Once you have control of the character the world fulfills the expectation of continuity by providing an area that’s the opposite way the player is encouraged to go (using the crowd who moves forward).
Lots of and easy to find initial pick ups from environment to quickly establish and encourage exploring the environment for rewards.
- Storytelling Moments – Initial area showcases poverty/class differences through characters in the scene.
- Lots of encouragement to explore through cutscenes. For example Steiner locked in room and the cutscene shows you are treasure chest which encourages you to go there.
- Love the variation of activities right from the start such as finding the knights of pluto, and a scene of quick time events of sword fighting.