Reddit is where this story begins. Trawling around I joined the /r/gameDevClassifieds sub-reddit. A place of gathering for game developers advertising paid, and un-paid game project work.
By chance I came across a post asking for a game designer, to which I replied. Unfortunately the position had already been filled though fortunately additional help was happily welcomed.
The project in question is Hero of Allacrost. Its an ‘open source single player 2D role-playing game inspired by classic console RPG’s, and I’m thoroughly impressed with the standard of this project. It’s use of BitBucket for source control, a Wiki containing lots of information/documentation, a forum, and welcoming project members! I’ve worked on this project for approximately a month, and my contributions to this project have been enhancements to the battle code.
Here’s the latest Hero of Allacrost gameplay footage. Check it out!
Get Games is part of Mastertronic a company that my company’s parent company Red Stallion Interactive is in negotiations to merge with. Red Stallions developers have since been tasked with an exciting project.
At present the project has involved re-hauling the language assets across the website, implementing right to left formatting, and performing general maintenance tasks such as updating the websites YouTube libraries. Going forward we have some exciting new features in the works including the integration of local Middle East payment methods such as OneCard, CashU and CrediMax.
The localisation phase of the project was completed a short while ago, and Get Game ME was officially launched last weekend. The launch included dispatching a newsletter as well as well as promotions through Youtube, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Take a little time and check it out, you might find yourself a good deal!
Shortly after joining Red Stallion Gaming, a video game publisher in Bahrain. I started developing their Android mobile application.
When I got my hands the app it was setup to communicate with a Web API, could only perform simple login and game download. There was plenty of work to do, and my efforts in this project were most notably:
Redesigning a new look and feel for the app.
Improving the login feature, as well as adding social media integration’s, for sign in and sign up.
Adding purchasing functionality with payment methods such as PayPal and Red Stallion Gaming virtual currency.
Adding a SQLite database for persistent storage to significantly reduce the data requests to the server, and improve the users experience.
Adding Wishlist, Library, Forgot Password and Search features.
Adding basic DRM measures.
Implementing a procedure, with built in token refreshing, of communicating with the existing API and a newly developed API to collect data for a smooth user experience.
The result of all this work was me completely redesigning, refactoring and implementing the mobile application. It’s been a lot of hours of work, but its finally released!
There’s lots more work to do on it, and in the mobile side of the company, but I’m happy to say that we’ve taken our first step.