Mercenary: Foreign mercenaries hired by Doctor UptoNoGood who carry AK-47’s, and wear body armor. Their purpose is to act as obstacles to the players progress that are moderately difficult to kill.
In terms of general properties:
- Agents can perform the standard 3rd person mechanics as outlined in the tests moveset.
- Agents are controlled by the game using a predictable finite state machine.
- Headshots deal critical damage to agents.
- Shots to body armour deal reduced damage to agents.
The player should deal with these mercenaries swiftly, focusing on hitting their weak points, performing flanks on their positions, and doing so with minimal ammo usage.
A basic FSM (finite state machine) to convey conceptually how an enemy agent might work.
- The agent is spawned and initially set to one of three High-Level behaviors (HLB) e.g. Patrol.
- Each HLB has Sub-Behaviors (SB) which the agent can enact while set to a HLB e.g. Patrol Start.
- An agent can transition to different SB’s and HLB’s under certain conditions e.g:
- If Spotted Player
- Begin Alert-Search
- If the agent is killed, it goes into a dead state and is then despawned.
When attacking, the enemy agent will alternate between seeking cover, and shooting at the player.
- When in groups the agents should coordinate their placement to provide varied positions ahead of the player.
- Enemy agents who are behind the player for sometime should refrain from attacking, and move to cover ahead of the player.